Wednesday 10 December 2014

Alesha Dixon: "Worst part of fame? Being photographed looking a mess!"

The singer and talent judge, 36, on the trials of being a pop star, loving Amanda Holden's bum and dancing inappropriately for Prince Charles

Alesha Dixon
 Alesha wouldn't change her job for the world

She rose to fame in the late nineties as one third of R&B girl group Mis-Teeq and since then Alesha Dixon has gone on to have a successful solo career both as a singer and a judge on TV talent shows Strictly Come Dancing and Britain's Got Talent.

Here she talks us through those highlights...

I loved that catsuit

The Mis-Teeq ladies Alesha, Su-Elise and Sabrina
The Mis-Teeq ladies Alesha, Su-Elise and Sabrina

It was cool at the time, but when I look back at the styling of Mis-Teeq it’s horrific. I haven’t spoken to Sabrina (Washington, middle) in a while, but I saw Su-Elise (Nash, right) recently. She lives in Australia now, but came over to see my daughter Azura (18 months) and give her presents. Whenever I see Sabrina it’s good vibes, but weirdly I see the one who lives in Oz more. Mis-Teeq never followed the crowd, so we probably wouldn’t reunite now. We don’t want to jump on the bandwagon.

Alesha Dixon & Matthew Cutler
Alesha and Matthew were Strictly's 2007 champions


But it brings back great memories. Mainly of exhaustion, as it’s such hard work on Strictly Come Dancing. I was training with my dance partner Matthew Cutler 10 hours a day, seven days a week for four months, soI earned that trophy! The night I won I couldn’t actually walk. My brain sent a signal to my body going, 'The competition is over, stop now’, and I was hobbling around after that. Christmas Day was soon afterwards and I sat on the sofa all day, because I physically couldn’t move. It was worth it, though. It was the beginning of something beautiful.

Prince Charles is my mate, we go way back

Prince Charles and Alesha Dixon
Meeting Royalty at a Prince's Trust reception, 2009

Look how pally we are…Every time I meet someone really important I make a point of being very casual and chatty. I brought my nan to this lunch at Highgrove House for The Prince’s Trust, and we walked the entire garden with Prince Charles. He’s so great. I spotted a pink tree in the garden and was asking where I could buy one from – random. I performed The Boy Does Nothing with Charles in the front row and I remember thinking, ‘Some of these dance moves aren’t appropriate for royalty.’ Hopefully he didn’t mind.

Fearne Cotton had to practically live with me for a documentary about fame

Alesha Dixon and Fearne Cotton
Alesha has not had an easy time with the media

She did everything with me, poor thing. But it was comfortable and fun, because I’ve known her since she hosted kids’ TV and I was in Mis-Teeq. She is just such a cool character and it didn’t feel intrusive having her with me. The press have been a bit harsh on me at times, and the worst part of being famous is being photographed looking a hot mess. But I can’t complain, I love my job.

I couldn’t say no to Gary Barlow when he asked me to climb Mount Kilimanjaro for Comic Relief

Comic Relief Kilimanjaro Challenge 2009
Kilimanjaro was one of Alesha's biggest challenges

It was one of the best and worst things I’ve ever done. I was really scared, but we raised £3 million. The experience took me through every emotion you can think of. On the last night I was really ill and couldn’t feel my feet. It was -20C outside, there were 70mph winds, I had no sleep and it was like I was having a face-off with God. All the elements were against me and I had a camera in my face. The BBC were kind to not show that footage. I must have looked hilarious, but I was lucky to do it.

I look good with this pan on, right?

Alesha Dixon and Amanda Holden
Alesha loves catching up with Amanda outside BGT

A contestant made it to the final of Britain’s Got Talent doing a routine that involved wearing a pan on his head. How that happened I don’t know, but me and Amanda Holden are working it. Whenever I’m with her I know I’ll be cracking up, because she’s so good at saying things she shouldn’t. I love that about her. She has made being on the panel the best for me. She had some balls to Tweet a picture of her bum hanging out of the back of her dress – but she does have an amazing bum. We chat outside of BGT, we try to catch up as much as we can.

I’ll never say never to getting married again

Alesha and boyfriend Azuka
Alesha and boyfriend Azuka

My boyfriend Azuka is such a hands-on dad with Azura, which is brilliant for me. And we made the most of this day out at Wimbledon. It’s different now we’re parents – you end up craving going out and doing adult things, but we miss Azura so much when we’re away from her. When you’ve hidden a relationship for four years and lived in secret like we did, it’s nice to be able to go out together. I’m not sure how we stayed undercover for so long. I couldn’t hide being pregnant with Azura, but I managed it for six months.

Oh, this was fun!

Alesha Dixon pouring water over David Walliams
Don't mess with Alesha!








No comments: